Monday, June 1, 2020

Transfers

The hierarchy of mobility skills goes in the following order: bed mobility, mat transfer, wheelchair transfer, bed transfer, functional ambulation for ADLs, toilet and tub transfer, car transfer, functional ambulation for community mobility, and community mobility and driving. I think that this hierarchy is in this particular sequence because skills are built sequentially. Moreover, it is important that the client is able to perform the steps that are at the bottom of the hierarchy and then progress to the more challenging skills at the next level. The order of the hierarchy is mostly what I would expect because of my observations at Covington Care Nursing and Rehabilitation. Here at this skilled nursing facility, I observed occupational therapists help clients move up the hierarchy order from wheelchair transfers to bed transfers. I agree to the order of this hierarchy, but I do think that all clients are unique. Thus, not all clients progress at the same rate or order. I believe that occupational therapists are great at adapting to the situation and should encourage clients based on their unique improvements. Furthermore, I believe that safety should be of the highest importance at all times, especially if the client is progressing in a different order.

No comments:

Post a Comment